Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Seasons of Life - Changes we've seen lately

2018

I have felt a need to record the goings-on for our family. For entertainment purposes, if nothing else. This year has been eventful, and truthfully has just flown by. It's hard to believe that it is May already. Here are a few of the highlights of the past year and where we're at now.


Arizona Statue University

We are coming up on our 2 year anniversary of living in Arizona. Chris's job at ASU is what brought us over from Monterey, CA and he is still enjoying his job as Director of Continuing Legal Education for the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at ASU. I tell him it's a big title, but basically he coordinates parties that include a speaker, for lawyers. It really speaks to his talents - social engagement, coordinating events, hosting events, and schmoozing. He's developing new skills and meeting so many new people.
One aspect of his job that we are both enjoying is the periodic trips to conferences around the country.  This past year he has attended or conducted conferences in Washington DC, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and California. He is anxiously anticipating his first international trip in July. He is joining a team headed to Australia. His first chance to break out his new passport.

Spiritual Life

My first day as a temple
worker at the AZ Gilbert Temple.
We were blessed to move into a wonderful ward, the Gilbert 4th Ward.  We've had many opportunities to serve and be served here.  I am currently serving as one of the CTR 6 co-teachers. There are 6 munchkins in my class and they certainly keep me on my toes while being thoroughly entertaining. My favorite part though is the amazing Spirit that I feel each time I teach them. I haven't taught a lesson in this class that I haven't felt the Spirit testify of the truthfulness of the Gospel principles being taught. What an awesome experience!
This past February I was asked to serve in the Gilbert AZ Temple. I was thrilled and a bit nervous to accept this opportunity to serve as a temple worker. I now serve Friday mornings at the temple. While it has challenged me in many ways, it has brought so many blessings. I love serving in the Lord's house each week.
Chris on his first day as the 1st
counselor of the EQ.
Chris has had several "growth" opportunities of his own since we've moved into the ward - I say this with a giggle and a smile. First, Chris was called to serve as an 11-year old scout leader. Might I remind you, that Chris equates camping to pretending to be homeless. Regardless, he was a much loved and very dedicated scout leader.
After serving for about a year Chris was called to serve as the Elder's Quorum president of our ward. This calling helped him develop his leadership skills, moving skills, and his love for his fellow men.  It was a joy to see his testimony of the Savior and testimony of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ grow and he selflessly served.
And so it is on to the next adventure and next growth opportunity. With the organizational changes which were recently announced during General Conference, Chris was released as Elder's Quorum president and called to serve as 1st counselor in the newly formed Elder's Quorum. I will try to keep you updated on what new and exciting things come his way while he learns what it means to be a 1st counselor.


Getting Out and About

Hiking Silly
Mountain in March.
Arizona has offered us many opportunities to get out and about. We have found a heretofore unknown interest in hiking, which may be in part due to our dog Daisy. During the non-summer months we try to get out 3-4 times a week. Some of our favorite hikes include Silly Mountain, Usery Mountain Park, and South Mountain. We've been able to explore a few others like Peralta, Horton Springs, Bushnell Tanks, Picacho Peak. Daisy absolutely loves  to go hiking with us and we can usually talk one of my family members into going with us. Fortunately our most dangerous encounters on our little adventures are limited to
Daisy & I hiking at
Bushnell Tanks.
jumping cactus, lizards, a horny-toad, and rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment